When it comes to shopping for your homes’ interior there is no shortage of incredible furniture and homewares stores right here in Melbourne. When the weather gets cold and nasty, the weekend is a great chance to hit up our list of must-visit stores and check out the incredible range of decorative pieces and homewares to brighten up your interior.
When buying interior pieces for my own home I love to try and find special one off objects, or interesting pieces that tell a story and start a conversation. It’s nice to know the special pieces you buy aren’t going to be seen everywhere and if you stick to the rule of buying what you love, not what’s on trend, you’ll have a really special home that represents your personal style and tells the story of the people living there. As much as we would all love our homes to look like a page out of a magazine, the hustle and bustle of daily life always gets in the way so it’s nice to look around your home and see a few special things that cut through the clutter of kids toys, baskets of washing and breakfast dishes!
These are some of my favourite stores that I visit when I am styling a client’s home, or designing a commercial project. Print out this list this weekend (or jump online) and go shopping!
1. Jardan : The Jardan store in Richmond is a must-see stop on your search for the perfect piece. With unique, handcrafted furniture and homewares, this stunning multi-level retail space is the place to visit for your next big purchase, or simply for a little inspiration. Jardan is proudly an Australian, family-owned business, that really knows its stuff. Whether you’re after a coffee table or a cushion, a bench or a blanket, Jardan’s relaxed, high-quality designs are the stuff your interior dreams are made of.
2. Modern Times : Featuring a large collection of Mid century furniture, a beautiful artwork collection of celebrated Australian artists and unique hand made ceramic and decorative pieces makes this showroom a treasure trove of one off unique hand crafted pieces and accessories for every nook of your home.
3. Cult Design : Cult has a cult following of design industry professionals. It’s a gorgeous multi-level store in the heart of the city and stocks a great range of designer names like Danish brand Hay – I love their range of Kaleido trays, they’re the perfect accessory for a coffee table and available in every colour under the rainbow. This store is a must-visit if you’re in the city!
4. Halcyon Lake : RUG UP! This is the BEST place for rugs in Melbourne hands down. The carefully curated range of hand woven wool rugs carefully selected for their level of craftsmanship, individual character and lasting materials. Get lost in a world of texture, colour and cool calming nordic appeal. They have recently opened a new showroom in Richmond that is woven woollen wonderland. We think it’s the perfect spot to visit on a cold Melbourne day.
5. Safari Living : if you’re looking for beautiful decorative objects and homewares Safari Living in Prahran has a gorgeous collection of luxe brands like Tom Dixon and Missoni as well as hand made pieces from Artisans in Asia and Africa. This store is guaranteed to offer a selection of unique treasures you’ll be hard pressed to find anywhere else.
6. Hub Furniture : Hub showcases incredible designs from European designers Moroso, alongside stunning pieces from Hub’s stable of brands featuring Lowe Furniture, Molteni & C, Billiani and Ivano Redaelli. They also have an enviable lighting collection, this is a great one for a spot of inspiration if you’re visiting the CBD.
7. Scout House : This beautiful store has a range of both new and vintage items, and stock items that have been carefully hand chosen from the fairs in Paris. For those who appreciate traditional items with a creative twist – this is the place. There’s vintage posters, pristine kitchen utensils, and even an extensive furniture range. I often visit Scout to pick up some new hand made ceramics by Bridget Bodenham, you’re guaranteed to find a special one off piece.
8. Coventry Street South Melbourne : If you’re looking for a great strip to hit up a bunch of fabulous interiors stores you need to visit Coventry Street in South Melbourne. I often visit this pretty street when I’m on the lookout for beautiful homewares and objects like vases, vessels, platters, ceramics and gifts. With gorgeous stores like Pomegranate, Mr Darcy, Vincent, Nest Homewares and the Coventry Bookstore you’ll happily wonder an afternoon away in no time.